Updated to make it “Pin-able”.
Some of you dear readers have let me know that the actual site of this wonderful list is un-pinnable. That’s because it doesn’t have a photograph to attach to a pin. Sometimes that happens. So, I created this little photo that you can pin, linking to this blog post site, which will have the link to the list. I’ll even put the list link right under the picture, so that you won’t have to scroll all the way down to find it. How’s that?
Thanks always for your feedback and comments. You are loved and appreciated here. 😉
Y’all… This is a TRUE treasure ~ or at least it will be to some of you. I wish you could see how excited I really am!
(However, if you could see me right now, you’d probably call me a nerd for sure!) If you’ve been around this blog or my life for very long, you’ll know how much I love the names of God, Jesus, and the Holy spirit. I’ve been studying and collecting these names for almost 20 years now. Yesterday I was doing some research on something and when I googled “name of God Light” this popped up:
Whoa! This is incredible!!! A list of 930 Names of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, with many of the names’ verses referenced and linked! To this point, I’ve collected around 730 names, and 200 more have just been dropped in my lap! I can’t wait to get started on this list – and I just didn’t want to keep the joy all to myself.
“And they who know Your name [who have experience and acquaintance with Your mercy] will lean on and confidently put their trust in You, for You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek (inquire of and for) You [on the authority of God’s Word and the right of their necessity].” Psalm 9:10, AMP
If you’re wondering what to do with such a list, here are a few suggestions.
1. Pin it for future reference.
2. Print it and use it in your quiet time.
I take my Names of God, Jesus, and the Holy spirit list and go straight down it in the order it is presented. One name a day. I look up the reference to that name (on this list, some names aren’t referenced), read around that name, and ask God to show me WHO He is to me for that day. It’s like unrwapping a gift every morning from Him. I LOVE doing that! No matter where I am on the list, Jesus blesses me with Himself through either that name, or through the verses around that name. It’s Christmas every morning! 😉
3. Print it and keep it as a reference for when you need to run into the Shelter of the Almighty.
Proverbs 18:10 says “The Name of The Lord is a Strong Tower. The righteous run into it and are saved.”
The Message puts it this way:
“God’s name is a place of protection— good people can run there and be safe.”
Need a dry and parched place in your life watered? Isaiah 43:18-19 tells us that’s just what God will do.
Need someone to fight for you? 1 John 2:1 tells us that’s exactly who Jesus is to you.
Lonely and need a friend? You’ve got one in Jesus, according to Matthew 11:19.
How did I know that? Because I have a list of names of Who God is. And now you do too.
Whatever it is that you need, there is a name of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit to cover that need. I promise. God promises. If we know His names (and names tell us of His character), we will easily be able to run into God’s Name and Character and be safe and saved.
4. Use these names in your Christmas decor, gift-giving, and family activities. These are some ideas from Keeping Christ AS Christmas.
- Name of God/Jesus/Holy Spirit Advent Activity. Choose 25 of your favorite names of God and write each name on a separate piece, strip, etc. of paper. Add them to your advent calendar activities. Each day, gather with your family (or Just with you and Jesus), pull out the day’s name, read the verse(s) around that name, and worship God for Who He is and Who He will show Himself to be to you and your family for that particular day. (More about Advent thoughts and ideas will be in Friday’s “Keeping Christ AS Christmas 2012 Post”.)
- Add them to your Christmas tree. Using a paint pen or permanent marker, write your favorite names of Jesus (and references) on Christmas balls, ribbon, crosses, angels, beautiful pieces of paper inside tiny ornament frames… whatever you have that will hang on a tree.
- Copy or print your favorite Names of Jesus (with references) on colorful cardstock, making sure you leave adequate space between them. Cut them apart and use as Christmas gift tags.
- Names of Jesus Garland – Like the above Christmas tree idea, put the Names of Jesus (and references) on something and use it to decorate indoor or outdoor garland.
- Name of Jesus Wreath – Use the same principle as the above tree or garland.
- Name of Jesus Chain – Write a Name of Jesus on small strips of paper. Hook them together to make a Christmas Count-Down Chain. Each day, pull off one Name of Jesus and praise Him for being that personal Name to you.
- Use the Names of Jesus in Christmas craft activities.
- Make or purchase ornaments depicting the specific Names of Jesus and label each ornament with that name and reference.
- Use the Names of Jesus in gift giving. Create Christmas decorations for your loved ones that include the Names of Jesus.
- Create a “Name a Day” gift for a loved one. Print each name of Jesus and the verse that accompanies it on colorful cardstock. Then place the names in a pretty container. Share the instructions to draw out a name a day so that a different characteristic of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit can be praised and enjoyed each day. The names can be recycled back into the container or kept in a special place until every name has been drawn.
We have been given a treasure in the Names of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Whatever you decide to do with what you’ve been given, please don’t let it go to waste. Jesus IS God’s gift to us (John 4:10), and what we decide to do with Him is our gift to God. 🙂
E-book by Jennifer: Keeping Christ AS Christmas: Preparing hearts, households, and homes for PEACE this Christmas season. Click here for more details, and “like”the Keeping Christ AS Christmas facebook pageto share YOUR ideas on keeping Jesus as the Center of the Christmas season.